Cosmetic veneers can revive your smile. You’ve probably heard the word “veneer” before. It’s a basic term used to describe a decorative covering over inferior material and is commonly used to describe coarse wood products covered with a thin layer of fine wood to make it appear of superior quality.
Dental veneers work the same way. They cover damaged or misshapen teeth and make them look better than ever, giving you the smile you always wanted.
Reasons for Veneers
Why veneers? Patients usually get them for cosmetic reasons, but they’re a solution for a variety of dental problems. Here are some common reasons to get dental veneers:
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Teeth that are worn down or have gaps on each side
- Misshapen or misaligned teeth
- Discolored teeth (due to things like drinking too much wine, smoking, root canal side effects, etc.)
Since a veneer is a covering for your tooth, it hides any discoloration or shape defects. Veneers can be directly built up in your mouth or built and bonded. Either way, veneers have plenty of advantages.
Advantages of Veneers
Veneers do more than just improve the look of your smile; they have a variety of other functions. Best of all, they last 5 to 10 years. Here just a few of the advantage properties of dental veneers:
- Natural – Colored and textured to match your other teeth, giving you a seamless, natural smile.
- Protective – Stain-resistant and add extra protection for the natural teeth they cover.
- Tolerable – The material used to make veneers is easy for your gums to tolerate, meaning they won’t be irritated.
- Convenient – Require no special care; simply brush and floss as you normally would.
There are a few downsides to veneers (irreversible, can’t be whitened, etc.), but the advantages far outweigh them since you’ll be getting an amazing smile and extra protection.
If you have one or multiple teeth with coloration or shape issues, schedule a veneer consultation with us today.